Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ode to Perverts

I'm fascinated by the intrinsics of sex. How sex works: physically, psychologically, and emotionally. How different positions can be created and satisfy in varying ways. How people feel about it. Why it's a taboo subject sometimes and a wonderfully liberating topic to discuss about other times.

I love how it encompasses our well-being. How it can affect our relationship with not only our partners, but as well as our children, our parents, and our friends and acquaintances. It's interesting to consider that without sex, we wouldn't be here, yet any reference to it is banned in certain areas. Television, workplaces, religion; they all have varying levels of disapproval of sex. However, who could come to church and listen to a sermon, who can come up with a break-through idea at work, or star in a popular sit-com if it weren't for the so-called implied "torrid" act of sex?

I feel that we should all be more open and more opinionated about sex. We should be able to exchange ideas and tips publicly. We should face the topic head-on and accept it for what it is: a natural act in our lives.

Reading Bonk: the Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach, I come across the concept that if one were to dedicate their work to analyzing sex in any way, they are instantly considered a pervert. Yes, sex occurs behind closed doors (most of the time,) and it is an incredibly intimate act. However, it is one of the things in life that bonds every single person completely. We all have sex in common. If writing a blog about my opinions on sex makes me a pervert; then, it makes you a pervert for reading it, it makes my mother a pervert for raising a young lady like me, it makes my boyfriend a pervert for being the one having sex with me and spurring my thoughts on this subject. Oh look, we're all perverts.

Or maybe we're just normal.

No comments: